I drew a few pictures over August that I never posted to the front page. A couple of them have been sitting in the Art section unnanounced, the others were never added at all. First up is a bunch of weasels. I was trying to make a character sheet of sorts for him. I couldn't decide whether I liked the colored versions or the sketchier ones, so I kept both. Next is a pretty cool speeding jolteon. There might be some weirdness to the pose, but it's meant to be a little exaggerated. Also I liked it and didn't want to risk breaking it further while fixing it.
For the past while, I've been doing a lot of playing around with different styles and techniques. So much so, that I've become extremely rusty at my normal "vector comics" style. "A two-panel comic? That's great!", I said. "That won't take more than a couple hours!" And then I sat down at the computer and remembered how much trouble I have drawing charmanders.
Also I tried a different eye style for Maurice. Again.
As for the actual content of the comic, it's not quite this bad yet. I was at the mall last week and they hadn't really even started Halloween yet, which was nice. But back in July I was already seeing "Back to School" sales, which upsets me even as someone who is finished with school.
One day perhaps these marketing people will be lying on their deathbeds, regretting all the months they wished away. Nah, that's too dark for me.
Sup? I haven't done a whole lot of drawing lately, but I have gone back and added a bunch of old pictures to the art section that I had previously overlooked. You can view a filtered list of them here. For the most part, they're pretty old and not particularly good, which may be why I overlooked them. But for the sake of completion, there they are!
Also, I've been messing around in Flash a little bit. Nothing crazy, just some sidescrolling. The physics are pretty buggy right now... I'm mostly just using this to test out how my sprites look in motion. You might recognize the level design and assets from the very old Eevee sidescroller test in the arcade section. While the assets are the same, the underlying code is almost completely different -- it's actually using the collision detection from the arcade's overworld map, retuned for platforming. I just really need to figure out how to do inclines.
Honestly though, with the direction internet gaming is headed, if I want to develop this further it would probably be smarter to just toss it into Unity.
It's been a bad week for my drawing hand. Last Sunday I tripped on some asphalt and tore up the bottom of the hand, right on the spot that makes contact with the desk when writing or using a computer mouse. Then, this Saturday I burned a couple fingers in the oven, during a spectactular failure to properly operate a potholder. Well, rather than get nothing done, I decided to take the opportunity to try drawing with my non-dominant hand. With my left hand wrapped tightly around a cold can of soda to keep the pain away, I scribbled this out with my right. Not too shabby, all things considered. I mean, sure, I can't draw a straight line with my right hand, but the overall shape is there. Just needs some cleanup.
Later that night I decided to try again, which resulted in this no-character-in-particular squirrel thing. Might pass for a Digimon if I exaggerated the claws some more. Pretty quick improvement, too. I mean, it's on par my with my left-handed stuff on a bad night. With a few weeks' practice I could maybe be one of those crazy guys that draws things with both hands at once! Nah, really it's only presentable because Photoshop doesn't leave eraser marks.
The next day my fingers weren't hurting anymore so I laid some vectors and colors over the squirrelthing. Couldn't decide on a color scheme, though. Well, technically I guess I did. Pastel pinks and blues... I've been on a pastel kick lately. Speaking of pastels, it's about to be July, so I'm putting the bright springtime site theme away and returning to the classic look. After all, you can't have fireworks in the daytime. The bright theme has been added to the automatic rotation and will reappear next April and May. I may experiment with more bright themes in the future, though. They're a refreshing change.
Good news! A site update after only a week. Bad news! Not a whole lot to show for it. I started implementing the long-promised search/filtering feature to the Art section, but it's not very robust just yet. Right now, you can add a query string to the url to filter the thumbnails. It's pretty basic, for example searching for 'old' will show results for 'cold' and 'gold', and you can't look for multiple terms unless they're part of a continuous phrase like "high school". I did at least try to be pretty thorough with the tags I attached to each image. In the coming days I'll work on the programming to make it a little fancier... an actual search form will be added, and maybe some preset filters for things I draw a lot. Additionally, image titles now appear when you mouse over thumbnails. I thought I had done that awhile ago, but it seems I did not.
Other thing to do: Actually make sure all of my drawings exist in the database. There's a bunch still missing.